SELECTED WRITINGS BY ROBERT SMITHSON|
- Zone of standard modules.
- Monoliths without color.
- An ever narrowing field of approximation known as the Method of Exhaustion.
- The circumscribed cube.
- Equal units approaching divisibility.
- Something inconsistent with common experience or having contradictory qualities.
- Hollow, blocks in windowless room.
- Militant laziness.
- Postulates of nominalism.
- Idleness at the North Pole.
- Exclusion of space.
- Real things become mental vacancies.
- Gray walls and glass floors.
- Domain of the Dinosaurs.
- Toward an aesthetics of disappointment.
- No doors.
- A flying tomb disguised as an airplane.
- Some plans for logical stupefactions.
- The case of the "missing-link."
- False theorems and grand mistakes.
- Memory of a dismantled parallelepiped.
- The humorous dimensions of time.
- A refutation of the End of Endlessness.
- Zeno's Second Paradox (infinite regression against movement)
- Dogma against value.
- Collapses into five sec
- To go from one extreme to another.
- Put everything into doubt.
- Two binocular holes that appear endlessly.
- Invisible orbs
- Abolished sight.
- The splitting of the vanishing point.
- Sinking back into echoes.
- Extinguished by reflections.
- Obsolete ideas to be promulgated (teratologies and other marvels).
- Cold storage.
- Refusal to privilege one sign over another.
- Different types of sameness.
- Odd objections to uncertain symmetries in regular systems.
- Any declaration of unity results in two things.
- Deluging the deluge.
- The Great Plug.
- The Winter Solstice of 4000 B.C. (a temporal dementia).
- Toward innumerable futures.
- Aluminum cities on a lead planet.
- The Museum of the Void.
- A compact mass in a dim passageway (an anti-object).
- A series of sightings down escarpments.
Text excerpted from ROBERT SMITHSON: THE COLLECTED WRITINGS, 2nd
Edition, edited by Jack Flam, The University of California Press,
Berkeley and Los Angeles,
California; University of California Press, LTD. London, England; 1996
Originally published: The Writings of Robert Smithson, edited by Nancy
Holt, New York, New York
University Press, 1979
ISBN # 0-520-20385-2
The Eliminator, 1964
A Short Description of Two Mirrored Crystal Structures, 1965
Entropy And The New Monuments, 1966
The Crystal Land, Harper's Bazaar, May 1966
Language to be Looked at and/or Things to be Read, Press Release for
Language show at the Virginia Dwan Gallery, New York, (1967)
Some Void Thoughts On Museums, Arts Magazine, February 1967
Minus Twelve, Minimal Art, edited by Gregory Battcock, 1968
A Provisional Theory of Non-Sites, 1968
Cultural Confinement, Artforum, 1972